Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mesh: A little glorious piece of the future, right here in 2008

I just got invited to the Live Mesh beta. And it's incredible. Impressively fast. Super easy. And remarkably, well, wonderful.

This feels like a taste of a future where it doesn't matter what device you're using, where all you need is a user name and password. (Maybe just a fingerprint.)

And, as much as any of Microsoft's "Live" products, this truly embodies "live."

I wish new mail was pushed to Hotmail. I wish new news was pushed to Live Search News. I wish new sites rising through the ranks were pushed to the top of Live Search results as you watched. I wish additions to the GeoWeb were pushed to Live Maps as you explored. I wish Live was more Live.

For one thing, it'd simplify branding. "What does Live mean? Oh, it means you see the news stories come up as they happen."

But anyway, back to Mesh. I'm just in my first hour or so of using it, and so far I've been timid. I really ought to just mesh my whole Documents folder, instead of selected folders here and there. Well, baby steps.

Really, this feel like it's the dawn of a new era. Maybe this--software plus services, as Microsoft might say; connectedness intertwined into the very fabric of even traditionally "offline" computing--will be Web 3.0.

P.S. Lost in half an hour. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment