Saturday, February 14, 2004

MY THOUGHTS ON THE RELEASE OF STAR WARS IV - VI ON DVD:
Many people are upset that the upcoming 4-disc (3 for the movies, then 1 for an all-new documentary) will include only the newer Special Edition versions of the movies, which change some minor plot points and brush up on the look of the originals. I never really saw much of the originals, and the only time I've seen any of the originals in theaters was when they were re-released as the Special Editions. I, overall, prefer the new ones. Why? They look better. They also have some new footage. Here's a rundown of all that:

EPISODE IV:
- New scene: Han & Jabba
- More shots of Mos Eisley, making it seem less deserted
- Better dewback stuff
- Cooler shots just before Battle of Yavin

EPISODE V:
- More setup shots for Cloud City
- Better landing sequence
- Once they're inside, you can see out windows
- More Wampa stuff
- You see Vader's shuttle going from Bespin to his Super Star Destroyer

EPISODE VI:
- New & Improved Sarlacc
- New musical sequence in Jabba's Palace
- Shots of people celebrating all over the galaxy towards end
- New Ewok celebration stuff

Also, the overall film quality of everything is vastly improved. Now, for the downsides I've heard most often:

- Greedo shoots first in Cantina scene (Episode IV)
- Something about Luke slipping or screaming or something that I never quite seem to get (Episode V)

Not all that much. However, I suppose that for most people there's the whole issue of "This is how I first saw it." In my case, I've pretty much always seen them as the Special Editions. I do think it would be nice if Lucasfilm released an original version DVD, but I'm not nearly as riled-up over it as some people seem to be.

The bottom line is: I can't wait until September 21st! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment